2024 is sold-out already. The 2023 event again paced for an early sell-out with all spots taken in less than a week. The event does also offer a limited time to transfer bibs or apply for Medical Deferral.
Package Pickup will be available race week at Forerunners Main St, race week only from Thursday to Saturday.
Race Month: February
In-Person : February 11, 2024, 8:30am
Annually in February since 1988.
Virtual Race : February 1-28
You may run your Virtual Race anytime between February 1-28 and upload your results during this time frame.
B.C. VACCINE CARDS AND MASKING
PROOF OF VACCINATION AND MASKS REQUIRED
RUNVAN® is no longer requiring proof of vaccination or masks for the First Half per Provincial health guidelines.
Anyone who is sick or showing symptoms of COVID-19 is still requested to avoid event participation for the safety of others, and to contact the event organizers for deferral options. Please continue to be respectful of others. Thank you.
Safety is Priority
Limited spots are available for all events to help reduce potential congestion.
Please be respectful and follow all event restrictions. Safety continues to be a top priority for event organizers, and RUNVAN® has updated its race offerings to support the return of in-person racing.
Event organizers will continue to closely monitor all health guidelines and follow the appropriate regulations. Event details are always subject to change, as permits are subject to the approval from governing bodies. RUNVAN® has various event plans that will be adjusted according to the official guidelines of the Provincial Health Officer, City of Vancouver, and Vancouver Parks Board, to support the in-person event.
- Long-sleeve technical tee, or opt to go green
- Race medal for the in-person Half Marathon 21.1KM
- Bonus medal with the Triple Crown
- Race Bib with timing chip for the in-person event
- $25 off at Forerunners (min. $75 spend)
- Stanley Park Brewing beer if of age
- Ability to donate to Variety, the children’s charity
- Race Results and Leaderboards
Triple Crown champs, you may run your three races in any order, on any day, throughout the month of February!
Traditional Start Line
Pacific Blvd + Davie St
Train with Forerunners
Forerunners offers run clinics that help to inspire, motivate and educate our community through a welcoming environment that encourages runners of all abilities and experience to reach their goals. Train with Forerunners in build-up to Canada’s fastest Half this February.
TAPERING FOR THE FIRST HALF
As the First Half approaches it’s tempting to run too fast or too far during the final few workouts. You need to decide how to adjust your training over the final two weeks before your race. This will depend on how much you have been training and the intensity of your workouts.
Forerunners provides more info on how to pace yourself during tempo runs and speedwork as you taper off on long distances leading up to your race. Strategically timing your distance reduction and controlling your paces can significantly improve your race time.
All runners are assigned a bib number and corral according to their estimated finish time. Your race bib for the in-person event includes a timing chip and tear-away gear check tag. Your bib will also be good for a complimentary sleeve of Stanley Park Brewing Beer if of legal drinking age. See the back of your bib for details, restrictions apply.
The last day to customize your bib name and estimated finish time is January 24. To edit general registration, please visit the Event Page, click the ‘Sign In’ button top-right and sign into your Race Roster account.
Race day pickup and sales are unavailable. Every runner is required to pickup their kit during Package Pickup hours race week only, Thurs-Saturday. Virtual runners may opt-in and pay for shipping.
Location: Forerunners Main St, 3889 Main Street, Vancouver, BC
Dates: Race week only, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 10am-6:30pm; not available race morning. Forerunners is staying open late race week to accommodate the sold-out event.
Please be prepared to present your Bib Number or Confirmation Number and Picture ID. To pick-up another runner’s race package, please have their full name, confirmation number and copy of their ID. For groups larger than five, please email email@example.com with all the names prior to coming to Package Pickup so we can prepare the packages ahead of time.
If you run the Virtual Race, you may also have your race kit mailed to you for $10 shipping and handling within Canada. Shipping is not available for in-person races as race bibs with timing chips will not be mailed. Note there is no race day Package Pickup.
Dates and location subject to change. Thank you.
- Half Marathon tech tee
- $25 Forerunners gift card
- And more
Join Canada’s fastest Half Marathon! RUNVAN® offers several race services including gear check, on-course aid stations, an official Start Line, Finish Line, timing and race results.
You may run, walk or stroll your race distance at your own pace and at a time and location of your choice, following the guidelines of your local health authorities. You may choose your own race day and your own starting line, whether it’s a treadmill, a park, your neighbourhood streets or Seawall. For the Virtual Race, you’re asked to please find your own pedestrian friendly route.
Virtual Race Info
On Race Day, runners usually wear a race bib with a timing chip and emergency contact info. For safety reasons, give someone else your race route and have an emergency contact located on your body or phone while you’re out just in case.
Aside from practicing safe, physical distancing, be alert of vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Remember, there are no road closures in effect during your Virtual Race. Try to stay on sidewalks or trails as much as possible and be sure to obey all traffic signals. If you’re going to listen to music, ensure you can still hear what’s going on around you. Treadmill racing may also be an option for you.
When is the First Half?
In-Person : Sunday, February 11, 2024
- Half Marathon : 8:30am start
Virtual Race : February 1-28
- Half Marathon, 10KM, 5KM
- You may then run the First Half Virtual Race anytime between February 1-28.
There are no time limits to your Virtual Race. Please start your Virtual Race time once you start your race, and then stop it only once you complete the entire race distance. You may take breaks during your Virtual Race but your race time should run continuously until you complete your entire race distance. You should not break up your race distance into shorter segments ran on different dates. Thanks for understanding.
Where is the Virtual Race Course?
In-Person: The First Half is a beautiful loop course through Stanley Park and around Vancouver’s Seawall.
Virtual: Please choose your own route for this virtual event. It would be unsafe for us to provide a route that all could use at any specific time, as that may contribute to social distancing concerns. Additionally, by allowing registered runners to create their own routes, you may participate from wherever you are! Use caution if running outside, and be alert of pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
Start Live In-Person
In-Person: 8:30am start. Arrive early. No late starts will be permitted.
- Access: Parking is available in Yaletown at nearby parkades and the Start and Finish Line area is walking distance from the Yaletown-Roundhouse Skytrain Station. RUNVAN® thanks the City of Vancouver, Vancouver Police Department and Vancouver Park Board for their assistance with road detours to annually host this community race annually in February.
- Toilets: Portable outdoor toilets will now be located on Pacific Blvd, West of Drake St. Limited indoor access is available.
- Gear Check: Available inside the Roundhouse Community Centre Gym. Please place all items you’d like checked into your own bag. Detach the tear-off tag at the bottom of your race bib, attach it to the outside of your bag near the top, then hand your one bag to volunteers at Gear Check. After you finish, return with your race bib to collect your bag. Note: RUNVAN® is not responsible for lost or damaged goods, and all clothing discarded near the Start Line will be donated to charity.
- Pacers: Pacers will help guide runners with the goal times. Pacers will be visible with RUNVAN® pacer shirts and signs.
- Corrals: Start waves feature colour-coded corrals. Approximately four minutes prior to your estimated Start Time, you’ll be invited to enter the Start Line Area. Enter at the back of the Start Line Area. The First Half will be a mass start with three corrals designated based on estimated run time entered at registration.
- Spacing: Please maintain physical distance within the Start Line Area.
- Official Race Times: Overall placings are based on Gun Time and Age Group Placings will be determined by Chip Time. Your official timing chip is included on your race bib which must be visible at both the Start Line and Finish Line. Your time will officially start once you cross the Start Line timing mats.
Gear Check will be available inside the Roundhouse Community Centre Gym on race morning. To help speed up the Gear Check process, please follow the steps below:
- Place all items you’d like checked into your own bag please. No loose items.
- Detach the tear-off tag at the bottom of your race bib.
- Attach your tear-off tag securely to the outside of your bag, near the top.
- Hand your one tagged bag to the volunteers at Gear Check.
- After you finish, return with your race bib to collect your bag.
Note: RUNVAN® is not responsible for lost or damaged goods.
Clothing discarded near the Start Line will be donated to charity.
Pacers will help guide you to your goal time.
Meet your pacers in your corral and say hi. 2023 team members below. 2024 to be updated soon:
- 1:30 Jonathan Ichikawa
- 1:35 Vivian Davidson
- 1:40 Vicar Li
- 1:45 Etienne Durocher
- 1:50 Karl Shen
- 1:55 Jessie Tao
- 2:00 Jun Xue
- 2:05 Navy Chen
- 2:10 Kaushal Parikh
- 2:15 Michael Tian
- 2:20 Kate Pendergast
- 2:30 Evgeny Vinnik
Finish Line In-Person
In-Person: Race day. Indoor facilities will return this year.
- Overview: The event Start Line and Finish Line are both located in Yaletown, Vancouver, BC.
- Medals: Medals will be awarded to all finishers! You may also opt to skip medal collection.
- Water: Water will be available oncourse and after crossing the Finish Line.
- Food: Snacks will also be available for finishers. Please help yourself to one serving of each item.
- Results: Chip timed results will be posted online at firsthalf.ca/results
- Toilets: Portable outdoor toilets will now be located on Pacific Blvd, West of Drake St.
- Gear Check: Return to the Roundhouse Gym with your race bib to collect your checked bag.
- Fan Zone: Find viewing areas near Pacific & Drake to cheer on all of the other runners, and visit the BlueShore Financial tent near Pacific & Drake for a chance to win prizes.
Please note there may be cues for certain services. Please be patient.
How may I view race results?
In-person runners may view results on race day at firsthalf.ca/results
Registered virtual runners will need their unique ‘Confirmation Number‘ provided during registration and their last name to input race results. You may additionally upload an image of your race file. Accepted file types are .jpg, .png, .gif. Max file size 2MB.
Triple Crown runners upload all three race times under each race distance individually.
Be sure to also share your ‘Finish Line’ photos on social @runvancanada #runvan
Half Marathon runners who place in the top three in their respective age categories will earn the opportunity to reserve their entry to the 2022 First Half! Race times must be input along with an uploaded image to be eligible.
Half Marathon Age Categories: 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 100+.
Half Marathon runners may also compete for the Dan Cumming Memorial for Best Age-Graded Performance.
For the Virtual Race Age Category Awards, GPS and screenshot shares will be required. Thank you for understanding. Happy running!