ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-DEFERRABLE.
Transfers are permitted. Learn more at firsthalf.ca/transfer.
All runners must pick up their own race packages.
- Age Restrictions: Our race registration Age Policy requires that as of race day, all Half Marathon participants must be 16 years or older. This policy follows international standards, has been informed by external medical advisers, and is in place for the safety of participants. Parents/guardians must sign the Online Waiver for participants aged 19 or under and parents/guardians are urged to ensure that young runners have the training and pace judgement needed to complete the event comfortably and safely. Race organizers reserve the right to require proof of age.
- Prohibited Items: The use of bicycles, inline skates, strollers or other means of assisted propulsion and pets are prohibited during the races. The right to disqualify runners who fail to comply with this policy is at the sole and exclusive decision of the race organizer, Vancouver International Marathon Society (“Society”).
- iPods/MP3 players/headphones: For the runner’s safety, music devices are discouraged. There is no risk of disqualification for simple use. If a runner puts themselves or other runners at risk through an unsafe act that race organizers determine was caused directly or indirectly through the use of an iPod/MP3 player item however, the runner may be disqualified.
- Pacing Requirement: There will be designated check points along the course with authorized course marshals that monitor and encourage runners to stay on pace and to ensure completion within the cut-off time. A sweep vehicle will be available for pick up if necessary.
- Authorized volunteer Pacers will be designated in select goal times.
- Course Hours: The Half Marathon course will be open from 8:30am to 11:30AM, a 3-hour time limit.
- Course Availability: The race is restricted and limited to registered participants only.
- Athletes with racing wheelchairs are welcome to participate in the Half Marathon, event. Hand-cycles are prohibited. Please indicate that you would like to register as a wheelchair athlete by emailing email@example.com or calling 604 872 2928.
- We will allow individuals with a disability to be pushed in a race-approved wheelchair. Both participants must be registered; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604 872 2928. Escorts will be required to have the wheelchair tethered to their body (arm, wrist or waist) to ensure the wheelchair does not leave their company for the duration of the event. The Vancouver International Marathon Society reserves the right at any time to revoke the privilege of these participants if a safety risk is determined.
- All wheelchair participants must submit a picture of their race wheelchair for approval prior to race day. Please email email@example.com.
Registration is online or in person at Package Pickup or on race day, space permitting. Mail-in registrations are not available. All runners must complete registration forms and sign the race waiver. View event info for more information on Entry Fees and Deadlines. This event is capped and annually sells-out.
ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-DEFERRABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
For Legal and Liability reasons Runners cannot offer their unused bib to any other runner.
Runners cannot defer their unused entry to the following year.
Transfers are permitted, learn more at firsthalf.ca/transfer.
Race Results Policy
VALIDATION OF RACE RESULTS
It is the responsibility of each runner (“Runner”) to use the chip timing device (“Chip”) appropriately. Bibs should be stored flat without folds and worn on the front of the shirt for accurate timing and results. The Bib contains the timing device and any misuse of the bib may interfere with the effectiveness of the chip.
To maintain the integrity of race results for the First Half, race results for any particular runner maybe invalid in the following circumstances:
- Where (Chip) times at specific locations, have not been recorded (despite both start and finish (Chip) times having been recorded);
- Where (i) (Chip) times at specific locations, have not been recorded, and (ii) there is a negative split time between the first half of the event and the second half of the event exceeding 15 minutes.
- In such other circumstances, where a result is questionable as determined by the sole and exclusive decision of the race directors of the Vancouver International Marathon Society (“Society”).
In the event a Runner’s time has not been validated in the circumstances described above, the Runner may appeal the non-validation of the runner’s time by requesting, in writing, that the Society review the validation of the runner’s time. Such review will be based on the written explanation of the runner and a review of the cameras (film and photo) commissioned by the Society during the race. All decisions by the Society as to any such appeal are final.
The Society reserves the right to forward notice of all results that have not been validated to BC Athletics, Athletics Canada, or such other race governing organizations as appropriate.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT RESULTS
The First Half bases the results on Gun time AND Chip. Gun Time is the time from the start of the race (gun) to when you cross the finish line as per IAAF, Athletics Canada, USATF, AIMS and International Awards standards. Chip time is the time recorded by the BibTag/timing Chip once a runner crosses the Start Line, then the Finish Line.
Gun time will be the Official time for the top five overall male and female winners and top three Age Group qualifiers in each age category.
RULES OF COMPETITION